Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Obscene Generosity

I was instructed to leave everything I bring to Uganda in Uganda when I leave. This philosophy is a little different than the “leave no trace” philosophy I learned when hiking in the national parks. I have to admit it’s been a challenge. Leaving behind the things specifically purchased for the trip (see the post about dresses) is relatively easy. As a matter of fact I can selectively pack to be sure I don’t bring anything I don’t want to leave behind.

But the idea of leaving my own things behind – the things I specifically purchased to fulfill a personal need or want – makes me want to cling to these things even more. I think, “I can’t afford to leave all my stuff here. I’d have to buy all new clothes when I return [see the post about shopping]. What about this book I want to put into my library, it was really good. This medicine is expensive and I might need it someday. I only have two pairs of sandals.”

And then…the shame. Selective packing and clinging to my “things”, when most Ugandans in the villages we’ll visit have no more than a tattered rag to drape across their frame, is appalling. This is NOT the kind of person I want to be. I want to be the kind of person who is obscenely generous, who doesn’t even think twice about giving away a most favorite/expensive/needed thing for the benefit of someone else, and who has the faith that God will find a new way to provide.

I have to admit, though, I’ll probably keep my underwear.

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow” (Matthew 6:28).

2 comments:

  1. Love "obscenely generous." I have such a long long way to go!! But why wouldn't you leave your underwear? I'm sure someone wouldn't care one bit that it's been used. I'd leave the suitcase too. Heck, travel home totally unencombered. How great would that be? I'll be praying for you as you leave tomorrow and for the days you're in Uganda. Be safe. Be happy. Be productive. Be free of "things"!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my comment went through. It said many things, among them that I would be praying for you as you travel to U.
    Love you!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete