Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Boda Boda Ride

In a post about commerce alongside the roads, I described how unsafe the roads might sometimes be in Uganda. My observations are in alignment. The lines on the main Kampala road are quite optional. Boda bodas (about 125 cc motorcycle taxis) and bicycles ride on the shoulder or on the main road depending on whether or not some taxi bus decides to stop on the shoulder. Dodging and weaving within inches of one’s skin is common. No helmets, no full leather (too hot). However, the driving speeds are much lower than in the U.S.

Armored police cars and military trucks with armed guards riding in the back are often seen here (no photos allowed). Their presence, from my perspective, could be likened to the presence of our police officers with a few differences: there are more of the Ugandan officers, the officers travel in larger groups, some have big guns out and ready. We don’t go out after dark so I’m not sure if this security increases or not. Really, if they had a U.S. police officer uniform I don’t think anyone would give their presence a second thought.

Henry drives a boda boda and today I road with him to see the property on which Gabriel is building his house. Because Henry is a trusted person, I was very excited to have the ride. I did feel a little exposed without a helmet and at least long pants but I’d do it again in a second. Henry keeps handing me the key. If I felt confident in navigating out of the canyonous drive to the main road and then on the main road traveling on the opposite side of the street as in the U.S., I might just take him up on that. Zoom, zoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment