Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Ugandan Dining

Most Ugandans produce their own food, cook over an open fire, and eat two meals a day. Table manners in Uganda are as follows: wash your hands before eating, sit on the floor mat during a meal, expect a prayer before eating, children will only speak when asked a question, compliment the mother after the meal, don’t leave the room during a meal, and don’t lean on your left hand or stretch your legs during a meal.

I was recently asked whether I am “okay with limited food options.” With 82% of the Ugandan economy based on agriculture, I was hoping to have some delicious meals made with fresh foods. I had to ask…what exactly does “limited” mean? Here is the list of fresh foods I will enjoy: a plantain banana dish (matoke – green bananas peeled, boiled, and mashed), fruit (probably oranges, papayas, lemons, and pineapple), fresh tilapia, chicken, rice, beans, and potatoes. I was going to make a wise crack about the chicken skin (because I love crispy chicken skin). However, I’m afraid the chicken might be served feathers and all, so I’ll just refrain.

Skinny…here I come!

1 comment:

  1. Leslie, we don't care about SKINNY, we need you HEALTHY!!! Good luck w/ your new "world cup" diet!
    OXOXOX, Marty/ dance class

    ReplyDelete