Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Amen's Story

Amen (A-min) is a young woman who attended a ballet class Lauren teaches twice weekly. She recently had a baby and we stopped to visit her in her home and to bring gifts. She greeted us all with hugs. She lives in a very busy part of town near Kampala and she lives way off that main road. We finally found her in an apartment, one of four units. I know that when I say she lives in an apartment you are not imagining quite the right picture. Let me see if I can describe this apartment.

Several long skinny building are clustered haphazardly. Amen lived in the second apartment, so no windows let in the light on two sides of the home. Windows here are a luxury, most simple buildings have only a door. We entered her living room/bedroom/dining room by first removing our shoes. The room was about 8 x 8 with a tile floor. She had neatly arranged the “furniture” for us – a mat to sit on. The other side of the room was lined with Jerri cans for hauling water. Beyond the curtain was the kitchen, maybe 4 x 8. I wanted to ask where the bathroom was but was afraid of the answer.

The total of Amen’s possessions that could be seen from this vantage point were some pictures hanging on the concrete wall, water cans, a CD player, and several mats. This is the more common lifestyle in Uganda. Few have more luxuries than this. Laura and I gave Amen several outfits for the baby, mine from the garage saler. I'm constantly surprised at how warmly they swaddle the babies here, I'd think they would roast but every one of them has been wrapped in layers of blankets or cloths. No diapers, of course.

The most important part was the baby, Elijah. Amen was tenderly caring for her until she heard me whisper to Lauren (who knows Amen) that I’d like to hold the baby. You can feel me getting all excited now, right? Amen gladly handed her over.

Today alone – one week from when I left – hugs from Annie and Amen, and baby-holding. Yes, I am in heaven. God knows just what we need when we need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment