Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

My New Boyfriend

During the first trip to Kampala, Henry and Gabriel were very intentional about sandwiching Laura, Lauren, and me between them when walking certain parts of the city. I commented at one point that we must have looked like a trail of ants. The second trip to Kampala to pick up the sewing machines didn’t work quite that way. We had a guest with us who was unable to walk the distance so Gabriel stayed briefly behind with Paul. Thus, the line of ants began with Henry, put Laura in the middle, Lauren was absent, and I was at the end.

I’m a great follower but this guy sandwiched himself between Laura and I. At first I thought he wanted to walk faster than our group was traveling, but once he got next to me he stayed there. Any effort to speed up, step around him, or slow behind him failed. I felt more annoyed than threatened and I knew Henry would periodically look back to check on me. This guy came to the same place we were going for the sewing machines so I thought he might have been urgently (although no one here urgently goes anywhere) getting to work or something like that.

He offered me a chair and I opted to stand. He stood next to me and began a conversation. Being the good Christian, I answered his questions and tried to be nice. Then he said I was “very beautiful.” That is when I knew something was wrong. Luckily my body guard, Gabriel appeared and had been watching this guy. I caught his eye and moved to sit near him on a bench. Henry then asked the guy to move on, although I didn’t even know he was watching too.

You know, I could say it was freaky and creepy. Instead I want to point out how awesome these two guys – Gabriel and Henry – really are. We don’t even know it, but they’re watching everything we do and they’re watching everyone around us. They’re protective, they’re chivalrous, they’re attentive. What an amazing gift they have been and what awesome examples of Godly men.

No comments:

Post a Comment