Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mosquito Bites

When it comes to mosquito bites, I am a big baby for two reasons: I cannot resist the itching and this inability to stop the itching sensation has the same psychological effect as claustrophobia (I can’t get away from it). One or two bites aren’t problematic, but I somehow have this picture of Uganda being continuously infested with swarms of mosquitoes, and…well, I’m a little worried.

Several steps can be taken to protect against the disease-carrying mosquitoes (and thus bites): avoiding outbreak areas, avoiding peak exposure times, wearing appropriate clothing, checking for tics, using bed nets, and applying insecticide with DEET.

According to the Agency for Toxic Substance & Disease Registry, the incorrect application of DEET can lead to health issues such as skin irritation, disorientation, dizziness and, in extreme cases, seizures or death. I wonder if a bath in 100% DEET every day for two weeks would be considered an “incorrect application.”

Deuteronomy 28:27 describes being inflicted with an itch that cannot be cured as a curse for disobedience.

No comments:

Post a Comment