Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Chapel #2: Satan Uses Our Mind

Speaker and preacher, Ken Rudolph, talked about how Satan uses our mind to accomplish his work when we allow him to. As only God can do, I had just been contemplating some of the traps I sometimes buy into – pride, power, control, etc. You all know me well enough to know these problems are/were my close companions. Yet I’m beginning to recognize some different thinking patterns. I’m taking instructions and correction from high-school-age kids about exactly how to cut a giant tray of cake, or how to scoop apple crisp. I’m fetching things for anyone who says “go,” and the life guard who yelled at me for going beyond the smiley face while kayaking received an obedient, and unquestioning boat turn around.

It occurred to me that I might have felt otherwise about these orders at another time in my life. I might have thought – but I’m not a camper, I’m an adult…I am quite capable of managing my kayak around the tiny lake. I might have said, “here, you cut these like this,” or “go get me that, please,” or “shouldn’t this be done this way to save energy and money?” But nope, I’m totally giving in to the fact that I don’t have a clue and I’m not sure I want one.

It’s kind of nice, really, to not have any responsibility other than obedience. Just do what I’m told and trust others to know what they’re doing. What if we trusted God in that same way? Totally let go, no worries, just do what he says one task at a time. I know that we’ve all heard these words before but this camp experience is helping me really understand what it means. I guess I show my immaturity by being this honest but…well, I’m sure you saw it before I did. That’s what this year is about right? Breaking down walls – in part, that means being authentic.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE your statement, "don't have a clue and not sure I want one." The ability to let go of leadership is a major sign of a true leader. Love you, girl!
    Jean

    ReplyDelete