Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Knocking for Knockers

I walked through my neighborhood with my five-month-old granddaughter to raise money to help ensure she doesn’t get breast cancer…when she gets breasts. We’ve got to be methodical about it so we don’t miss houses and don’t overlap houses when I go out tomorrow. There are a lot of houses in my neighborhood.

I prepared a little business card type piece for people who may wish to donate online, and pray that they actually do it like they promise. I also prepared a letter to leave for those who aren’t home, most of which will be ignored, but you just never know.

Into the conveniently pink stroller she went, jabbering all the way. While she explained that we were “knocking for knockers,” people were in awe of this little jabberer. Most people responded favorably, although it occurred to me that the homeowners association probably has some clause about solicitation. That might fall under the “ask forgiveness later” principle, right?

One dear lady asked for prayer because she has bladder cancer. Yea Jesus, you can heal her. Another guy was kinda mad because he doesn’t have any money, and he’s been praying and why doesn’t God answer, and “no” I can’t pray for him because he’s busy in the kitchen. Guess what, I said a little prayer for him after he slammed the door in my face anyway. Several people asked about my inspiration to walk and I had the opportunity to tell them about my dear Aunts Jean and Jill.

After an hour and a quarter, about 30 houses, and three mosquito bites, I came home with $140 toward the $2,300 I have to raise. I was pretty excited. If I go door to door 16 more days I’ll have enough to participate in the walk. Question is, how much was my jabbering granddaughter a factor in their decision to donate?

No comments:

Post a Comment