Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Trial 3-Day Walk

When Rick prepared to run the Old Kent River Bank Run or the Grand Island Marathon he always did a kind of trial run. This trial run was longer than his typical daily runs but usually a bit shorter than the real thing. Then, on the day of the event he would push himself to the finish.

Well, I’m not sure I can walk less than 20 miles one time and feel confident that I’ll be able to repeat that distance for two more consecutive days. Too many things could happen in that extended time – blisters, dehydration, sunburn – that would not be evident in a single day walk.

A trial walk modeled after The 3 Day seems prudent. Today I will begin a three day trial walk of 15 miles each day. I’ll pack my bag and gear up as if it were the real thing. I won’t have access to sweep vans, food stops, encouraging co-walkers, or first aid stations during this trial walk. Getting eight miles away from home and discovering a blister will be met only with the requirement that I walk another seven miles to get home. The only comfort I will have is returning to my own bed each night, very likely following a hot bath.

So, as I put my feet to the pavement consider making a donation to Susan G. Komen as an encouragement to me and as a hope for a cure. Perhaps consider donating $1.00 for each mile of this trial walk – that’s $45.00. I’ll report on my progress with photos and stories. Scenic route recommendations are always welcome – it’s not as easy as you’d think to find long, safe walking routes that don’t require seeing the same things over and over again.

1 comment: