Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Trial Walk: Day 1

When planning my longer walks I use Gmaps Pedometer to establish the total distance needed. I started the morning with a six mile loop around my neighborhood, went to an 8:15 appointment all hot and sweaty, then finished with nine miles between the John Ball Zoo and Millennium Park.

Beginning on Kent Trails near the Zoo, I pressed my feet down the long, empty, paved trail that runs along the beautiful but very brown Grand River. At one point it occurred to me that this is the area so often seen from the highway as completely flooded. Not much in the way of recent rains boosted my confidence that I would get through with dry feet.

Having never been to the park before, I expected it to be a giant wide open space with a few trees scattered here and there. Instead I found this biodiversity full of lush trees, ponds with all kinds of wildlife, and modern facilities surrounding a beach and swimming area (currently overtaken by ducks). No bugs, no sunburn, no dehydration, no blisters. Nothing but a beautiful journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment