Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, July 23, 2010

Why Walk?

Before beginning the quest to achieve 60 miles in three days, I regularly walked four miles daily. This practice became part of my emotional, mental, and physical health routine after Rick died. Whenever I began to feel like life might just overwhelm me, I would walk. Actually, I walked regularly so I rarely got to the point of overwhelming (although it did happen). I suppose you could say that my tears are in my footsteps. Walking was and still is soothing and enjoyable, and part of my regular health routine.

I typically listen to books on CD that I check out from the library and load to my iPod, for example: Playing for Pizza, The Appeal, Eat Pray Love, and I’m currently listening to The Poisonwood Bible. The Poisonwood Bible takes place in the 50s and is about a family of six who moves to Congo to serve as missionaries. I sometimes listen to worship music – yes, that person walking down the street with her hands in the air is probably me. And I occasionally listen to a playlist Rick had loaded on his iPod for running.

I also enjoy some quiet time while I walk. During this quiet time I ponder the deeper things of life. I work my thoughts and feelings into semi-comprehendible ideas. I roll these ideas over and over in my head until I figure out what to do with them. Some end up in this blog, others end up talked through with friends, and still others are just for me and Jesus.

Walking 60 miles to fight breast cancer in honor of my Aunts Jean and Jill was a natural choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment