Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, July 9, 2010

Weights and Measures

Cooking for more than 400 people every day is a work of gigrundous proportions. Portions aren’t measured by cups, but instead they are measured by pounds. I supposed the regular cooks here get used to it and know just what size mixing bowl to use – laundry tub size or swimming pool size.

I was assigned to mix the cheese layer and the sauce layer for lasagna based on a given recipe and the mixing bowl was preselected for me. I started with the cheese layer because it was smaller. I knew there was a problem when I got only two of the four ingredients into the bowl and it was already full. Surely the experienced second cook knew what size bowl would be needed so, um…

I added 2-10 lb containers of ricotta cheese and was supposed to add 2-10 lb bags of eggs…or so I thought. Okay, well…let me preface this story by saying that the printed recipes included the package size from which the measure was to be taken. So, for example, if you needed 1 cup of sugar the recipe would say something like this:

Sure Fine Sugar 2-10 lb bag 1 cup

Interpretation: Sure Fine Sugar comes in a 2-pack of 10 lb bags and you only need 1 cup for this recipe. Well, I learned to interpret these recipes AFTER I poured a 10 lb bag of liquid eggs into the mixing bowl…heh…I only needed 1.5 lbs not 2-10 lb bags.

Okay so, you know I am not the best cook and that God has a sense of humor by sending me to work in the kitchen. But I can follow a recipe…usually.

“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" (Luke 6:38).

No comments:

Post a Comment