Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Cullasaja Gorge, NC

Walking very carefully along highway 64 heading west out of Highlands, NC, I picked my way along Cullasaja River. I left the Inn at about 6:20 so as to avoid traffic on the narrow, shoulderless, mountain road. Moving across the road from one side to another, I attempted to extend the line of sight (of me) for oncoming drivers beyond to just beyond the tight corners. Hugging the guardrail on the ravine side and the rock cliff on the mountain side, I was able to step out of the path of the cars and trucks by about 12 inches. Perhaps not the smartest walking plan, but it was beautiful.

The Callasaja watershed was a wide manmade fall at the end of the backwater area, which was lined with beautiful cottages. Deeper into the Nantahala National Forest, Bridal Veil Falls, at about the 2.5 mile mark, boasts a 120 foot drop and is the only fall in North Carolina that can be driven under. Dry Falls, at about the 3.5 mile mark, were anything but dry. A meandering path led down under the falls where the cool spray enveloped me. I reflected a bit on how much Rick loved these kinds of sights.

Back on the road the traffic was noticeably heavier so I headed back toward town rather than continuing on. The walk back was much more difficult - all uphill. As you can imagine, the town got its name for a reason, it was high in elevation (4,110 feet). Because I returned rather than proceeding on, I missed walking to Bust Your Butt Falls and Callasaja Falls, with a 250 foot drop. Maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. I love these pictures of the falls, especially Bridal Veil Falls!

    ReplyDelete