Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Trail Walk: Day 2

The North Country National Scenic Trail between the Lowell fairgrounds and Fallasburg Park provided for my 15-mile, day-2 trial walk. The Lowell State Game Area map was my constant companion, and quite sweat drenched by the time I was done with it. Another 6:30 a.m. departure was expected to bring me to the finish line (return to my car) at 11:30…hopefully before the forecasted rain showers.

The treetops played in the breeze, which prevented any relief from reaching down below. Sweat literally bubbled from every pore on my body looking a bit like small second-degree burn blisters. I actually had to stop and think when I first spied those tiny beads. The weather wasn’t overly sunny or hot, but on this trail it was like there was no weather…it was perfectly still. The OFF! washed down to my Smart Wools regardless of how hard I tried not to touch my own skin.

I found it odd that the “Public Hunting Area” signs and the “North Country Trail” signs all pointed to the same forested area. Fallasburg park is always a beautiful place to visit. I enjoyed my apple and granola bar there. I wondered whether the feeling of being eaten alive was from mosquitoes or from the tightening of salty, sweat-soaked skin finally drying in the river-induced breeze.
I was going to happily report no blisters today but…um…I found out the hard way that I have a few blisters on the…um…private parts. Surely THAT deserves a donation!

No comments:

Post a Comment