Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, July 19, 2010

One in Eight

Think of your most favorite eight women in your life. Just eight. These are women who listened to you complain or cry – like when work was frustrating or when Rick died. These are women who fed you spiritually or physically – like at regular iHop breakfasts or Panera lunches. These are women who made you laugh and smile – like when they played dress up or when they asked you to read a story to them.

Undoubtedly some of these women might yet still be just girls, or they might be girls who have grown into beautiful women. But one in eight women will get breast cancer in her lifetime. Which of these wonderful eight women in your life would you choose to have breast cancer? You have to pick one because, statistically speaking, one of them WILL get breast cancer. Which one would you pick?

I think of my daughter and of having watched her grow from this darling red-headed two-year-old into a beautiful woman and mother. I think of my daughter-in-law and the precious life she is making for her family. I think of my kind-of-but-not-really daughter who loves me no matter what. I think of my oldest granddaughter and the day she realized that she and I were the only two people in the family with blond hair and blue eyes. And I think of my youngest granddaughter whose smiley jabbering I could listen to for hours.

Which of these women do I choose to assign breast cancer? Yes, Jesus died so that we don’t have to choose and so that our life can be eternal. For this I am so thankful. Yet we still live in a fallen world which means that breast cancer still hurts the people we love most.

My challenge to you is to give to Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure on behalf of all the women in your life. Sound like a big task? It is. Allow the Holy Spirit to bring an amount to mind and then give that amount for each of the girls in your life. Isn’t a little financial sacrifice worth the hope of saving these girls from this disease?

Rebecca, Katie, Jessica, Kyhana, and Addie – I love you way more than the $50 I am pledging for each of you. I pray they find a cure so that you and your children and your grandchildren never have to experience breast cancer in your lifetime.

Click on the link on my blog at the right or on my Facebook page to make your donation today. I challenge you!

“Although you have been forsaken and hated, with no one traveling through, I will make you the everlasting pride and the joy of all generations. You will drink the milk of nations and be nursed at royal breasts. Then you will know that I, the Lord, am your Savior, your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob” (Isaiah 60:15-16).

No comments:

Post a Comment