Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, July 30, 2010

Trial Walk: Day 3

Today was to be Egypt Valley Trail – a line of yellow dots on a map that head north between Seidman Park and Townsend Park. I added Pickerel Lake to get the full distance needed to achieve 15 miles. These three parks were favorites of Rick and mine for various reasons. Over the years we’d hiked them together dozens of times. I’ve returned alone a few times and the parks have become my own.

My Forester came to a rest at Seidman Park off Conservation just before 6:30 a.m. The weather was beautifully cool and the moon was as bright as could be. It looked a bit like someone chopped a quarter of it off – the edges of that part were far less distinct than the rest. A deer watched me from the middle of my paved walking path; the five pictures I took were all blurry. I saw no fewer than eight deer over the course of this hike; or should I say…they saw me.

After rounding the corner at 2 Mile with the intention of entering the trail head, I found a big sign saying that the trail was closed. Phooey. I stayed on 2 Mile, turned left on McCabe and walked up to Townsend Park and then on to Pickerel Lake where I rested briefly. This lake always provides a sweet view. By the time I got back to the car, I found that the hour was later than my consistent 3mph pace so I used Gmaps to calculate. Yep, I walked 16.5 miles rather than 15.

Given how I felt after the Trial Walk: Day 2, I was a little concerned about this third day of walking. I’m glad to report, however, that I’m no worse for the wear. No aggravated old blisters and no new blisters, and it wasn’t nearly as hot and humid this day. Yes, my whole body ached. Every time I get out of a chair I groan. But…I did it! Just a few more walks at 20 miles each between now and walk day - August 13-15. I think I’m ready for the real thing. As ready as I’ll ever be.

No comments:

Post a Comment