Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Training to Walk 60 Miles

Walking 60 miles is a whole lot different than walking four miles, my pre-Komen state of readiness. The coaches at Susan G. Komen encouraged developing a training plan and offered several models along with weekly reminders. Because I signed up later than most, I didn’t have the luxury of a 24 week training plan or even the 16 week plan. So I started with event week and worked my way back in two mile increments so that I could see how many miles I should be able to walk each week.

Once I got to 12 miles each day, I began to feel more fatigue. I suppose that is why the coaches recommended shorter walks during the week and longer walks on the weekend…not the same distance every day. Further, walking 12 miles meant spending four hours walking every day. That’s a huge time commitment.

I admit that I’ve slacked off from walking the increasing number of miles required on a daily basis. For example, this week I am supposed to be able to walk 16 miles. I walked 15 on Sunday, 12 on Monday plus door-to-door, 10 on Tuesday plus door-to-door, and 4 on Wednesday plus door-to-door. Thursday was mostly rain so I took a break but still managed the door-to-door. My next walk will be 12 miles and then a 16-18 mile walk over the weekend. Oh wait, I’ll be traveling…

This commitment to walk 60 miles and all the training that goes with preparing for such a walk should not be taken lightly…nor should the demand for a cure for breast cancer. “These forty years the Lord your God has been with you, and you have not lacked anything” (Deuteronomy 2:7).

No comments:

Post a Comment