Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Connecting Challenges

By the evening of my first day I can see that my challenge will be finding people to connect with. The campers have their camper thing going on and the counselors the counselor thing. No one has a clue who I am nor do they feel burdened to be responsible for my volunteer experience. There are so many campers of all different ages it’s hard to know where to turn. I desperately want to connect with a small group of any age.

I know the burden is on me. I will try hard to connect with some of the staff youth with whom I work in the kitchen. I hope to meet some of the women who are sharing my dorm room. From here perhaps I can find a group with whom I can enjoy camp activities.

And then there was chapel…

I’m sitting in the back row at chapel, a nightly event with different age groups at different times of the evening. Among the counselor introductions, Nathan mentioned that his father passed away two weeks ago and invited people to come talk with him about that. All of the sudden I realized that I’m not letting God orchestrate these connections, but instead I’m trying to be in control. Then I remembered Carissa’s story about devoting herself to full time mission work in Spain. These are two people I needed to meet and thus promptly introduced myself and had short chats with them both. I’ll be back, oh yah…I’ll be back.

After this younger group was done, the senior high kids came in for their service. The worship was a lot of fun, energetic, and helped me recognize God’s presence here. Okay, I can not do this. I can let God open the right doors and highlight the right relationships for me. He can connect me in the places I am most needed or that I need most. Yea, it didn’t take too long to remember that God can do a better job of making connections than I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment