Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Three-Mile Hike

I had a surprising amount of free time after having settled my things in Sunshine #6 and before returning for dinner duty. As I was leaving the cabin, someone pointed out that the camp just finished a three mile hiking path. Oh, is God good. I was directed to the path’s beginning but found the Frisbee golf course instead. Oh well, it was still in the woods. I followed the course past several “holes” and came to the high ropes course, not in use at the moment. I passed a road and eventually found what I thought was intended to be the hiking path.

Hot and sweaty now, not really dressed for hiking in 90 degree and humid weather, I met up with a very persistent fly. This fly was not letting me get away. I walked faster, swatted harder, waved my arms, hollered, and did all sorts of acrobatics to escape this thing…all to no avail. He preferred to land in my hair and I contemplated letting him stay. At least I’d know where he was and he wouldn’t be otherwise troubling me. But…there’s something creepy about feeling a fly crawl around in your hair.

The fly and I proceeded up and down the path until we came across a horse corral. A band of masked senior level students chased me back to the road and the main lodge for fear of becoming a paint ball target.

I found a somewhat safer (so I thought) spot on a bench to watch some junior level students play a game that had something to do with running while they had underwear (or something like it) wrapped around their ankles. Then…bird poop from above landed on my shirt. Hot and slimy. Okay, so this three-mile hike ended up to be something other than what I expected but the afternoon was still a good one.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie, you are such a gifted writer..........I'm chuckling while writing in response to your walk thru the frisbee course w/ the DREADED horsefly..........simply hilarious!
    Thx for the comic relief!
    Good job of LISTENING while at chapel. You are the queen of "connecting"......
    xooxox, Marty

    ReplyDelete