Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, September 6, 2010

Shopping for Sandals

You should know I had to go shopping…again. You also know that for me shopping is synonymous with stress. Those of you who know me well will simply burst out laughing at me after reading this…go right ahead. But I swear this is all the truth and, well, if you want to “unfriend” me after you read this I understand.

Africa will be between 80 and 85 degrees which reasonably warrants wearing sandals most of the time and wearing my dusty, red, tennis shoes at least some of the time. Last time I went to Africa I left my sandals because I was supposed to leave everything behind. This time, I need sandals again. This part was easy. Just wait.

The quandary arises when I try to identify exactly the right sandals. There are, of course, a few criteria. I really don’t think these criteria are all that outrageous.
• They must match ALL of my clothes.
• They must cost about $10.
• They must be comfortable for a lot of walking both on pavement and on grass.

As for matching ALL of my clothes…my pants are all black. I am trying to blend in a little more as well as be comfortable. I figured some black athletic pants would work in hopes that I also don’t roast. Luckily I gave away all my dresses from last time and I had hoped to find some neutral color skirts. Instead I was given (bless those who gave) one skirt that is browns and rusts, one that is pink and grey, one that is dark blue, and one that is blue and green sea colors. So black shoes, which would not really match most of my skirts, or maybe a neutral or light tan color, which might not look great with my black pants.

As for the cost…did you know flip flops can cost $40 and that they’re not terribly comfortable? Cheapy flip-flops are even less comfortable. Did you also know that sandals are now on the clearance rack and there are almost none left…anywhere? Did you also know that the style this year is more foo-foo and less practical? Okay, so I saw some folks wearing Keens and thought that might work. Good idea, right? No. Keens cost more than $10, as a matter of fact they cost more than 8 times $10. Okay so I made the mistake of trying them on. I could hear angels singing they were so comfortable. I can find them online for a bit cheaper but by the time I pay shipping to get them here before I leave they cost about the same. Well, if I can wear them other places I could at least justify a little more money but $80? Yikes.

As for comfort…and then there is the selection of Keen styles. Slide (slip on), full body (lots of straps everywhere), and semi-open. All the local stores had only the full body style for me to try on. Then I started thinking that if I was going to get a full body sandal I may as well just wear my tennis shoes, which are strikingly beautiful with skirts. So I’d really like to find some slide on or semi-open to try on. This, of course, requires more shopping. All the while I’m keeping my eye out for some non-Keen sandals.

About now I get back to the “just give me some cheap sandals” that don’t match anything and then I remember that there is no such thing and that five weeks in cheap sandals could be rough. Right…I think I’ll go barefoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment