Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Bujagali Falls

Bujagali Falls is found on the Nile River in Jinja, Uganda. The falls are a bit more of a rapids, in fact they are considered a Class V rapids. The cool rushing waters hosted numerous kayakers and rafters. Showing the entire falls system is impossible in one photo but one of the treacherous sections is shown in the first photo. The second photo is a Class VI rapids called The Widow Maker. Big Brother, a Class VII rapids was behind us and legally impassable by rafters and kayakers. Honestly, the rapids simply swallow the boats, big and small. There is no such thing as controlling your boat in such powerful forces, although the kayakers might disagree. From my vantage point, the best they could do was to right-side-up their kayak after being spit out at the end.

A hydro electricity dam is being built at this site and is slated to be complete in 2011. The installation of this dam means the entire rapids will be flooded as the water level rises behind the dam. So sad, necessary I suppose, but sad. Electricity in at least Jinja, where the Source of the Nile is found, is shut off at night so as to conserve. I believe this is true in other places as well. I take so much for granted.

Yep, toes in the water again (hey, it’s hot). I had a front row seat to all the world-traveling kayakers passing by right in front of me. This is the spot I acquired my left sided crispiness. Watch the video to see what happened to many rafters.



No comments:

Post a Comment