Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Main Sipi Fall

The final and most beautiful fall we visited required sure footedness on the clay-covered, steep path. That this is the rainy season in Uganda also means that this path is essentially slicker than snot pretty much all the time. I managed to stay mostly upright, and to laugh at myself most of the way, but not without much worry on the part of my companions as we wound our way past cows, goats, pigs, corn, coffee (Bugisu Arabica), and lots of adorable little kids calling “hi mzungu.”

The water of Sipi Falls drops 100 meters (328 feet). I’m still not quite sure how a waterfall can begin at the TOP of a mountain, rainy season or not. Eventually the pot should be empty. As we approached, the cool spray was more like a pelting, but it was beautiful and refreshing non-the-less. A man-made cave behind the falls allowed for spending some semi-dry time allowing the sound of the falls to mesmerize me.

The rain began to fall – that’s what you get in the rainy season…rain in the middle of sightseeing. The added water made little difference…by the time we slid our way back to the car, we were covered head to toe in red clay and my shoes…oh boy. I’m sure Irene will look at them and offer to wash them so as not to embarrass any Ugandan I might be with.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Leslie. Such beautiful places and beautiful faces. My heart and prayers go with you, dearest niece.

    ReplyDelete