Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Community Scrap-ghan

Warm, fuzzy, snuggly, safe. These are words that describe how I feel when wrapped up in my favorite blanket. Hiding under the blanket during a thunderstorm is a perfectly acceptable use as is shading my eyes from the bright summer sun while napping. Don’t mess with my blanket!

I made this favorite blanket out of squares from Rick’s old work clothes a few years before he died. I included the front button up and pocket part of his dress shirts or wrapped a sleeve cuff onto the front of a square just to add interest to the quilt. A few of the squares were even made from my dad’s old shirts that Rick ended up wearing at one point. The back side of the blanket is flannel – less interesting but not less soft. Today I can add that my blanket feels like a little part of the love of my husband and my father wrapped around me. Somehow the two are inseparable.

As I was going through the house in preparation for the garage sale to benefit Uganda, I came across piles of scrap yarn. My sister volunteered (or was nominated) to crochet an afghan for me to take to Uganda. I imagined something akin to a really bad patchwork quilt. Instead, she made this beautifully thought out, warm and snuggly blanket (that barely made it out of her house because so many people wanted to keep it for themselves…not me of course, other people).

No fewer than a dozen people contributed scrap yarn for the making of this project, not to mention the time and talent of my sister, and I wanted to thank you all! Your small contribution when put together with the small contributions of so many others resulted in this beautiful scrap-ghan that will definitely keep someone warm at night. Thank you!

Now, um, please start collecting more leftover yarns…just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment