Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Herbert's Story: "Children of Grace"

My name is Burora Herbert Anderson [Herbert is in the white coat]. Formerly, I was a street kid for 5 years, I did a lot and passed through ups and downs, thick and thin, long and hard situations. I’ve been between a rock and hard place in life, but above all I want to thank God for my life that despite what I have gone through, I have been able to stand strong.

It was 2 years ago, and I was on my weekly youth campaign – a time I have committed where I go to different towns of Kampala and any other places that are my reach [Herbert shares the Gospel, encourages and counsels, talks about AIDS, poverty, or whatever topic is needed in a given area]. So I met two boys that were interested in helping me stage my small sound system and a few equipments that I use. The boys asked me to come the next day and see where they stay. They promised me to take me to their friends so that I can talk to them and so that I can also be their friend and visit them frequently. From there, they even gave me a name of “Uncle” which is a respect that younger people call someone they fear to call their names flat. I came the next day but it was early so I asked the neighborhood and they directed and found them still sleeping. I was not happy to see the situation that these children were living in and this made me cry in my heart.

I was so broken and touched to see these happy children without care living a life that they did not complain at what they were going through. All I did at that time was to pray for them and see what God could do. I decided to share what I had with these children, though I knew I could not change everything about them. But I knew I could do what I can to change the lives of these children to at least a certain point where they could feel the change. That is why I look for a close Christian school that was cheap and I paid school fees for those who I thought were super interested. I had to go to the school to ask and plead with the school to allow street children go to their school. In most cases street kids are dangerous because they grow wild due to the situation they grow in. The school gave me conditions if the kids were to join the school of which I had to comply with.

I was so happy after some time to see the lives of these kids changing and becoming happy with a cause of hope that someone was caring for them physically and they loved me just as I loved them because I knew what they were going through since it was what I gone through. This picture gives a lot of emotions and challenges on how I can do to make them interested and happy and setting their foundation on firm foundation [10 orphan boys between the ages of 5 and 16 live with Herbert in his very small apartment, about 10’x20’].

Right now, I find it interesting that in the first place I did not fear or get afraid of the responsibility of taking care of these children. I now see and think that they are now part of me, my family and relatives because they are all I have. Indeed these children, though they are not receiving the best they would require or need, though they don’t have enough of what they need, but what is more important, is that, they have got what they want and that keeps you going until the next step is taken.

My appeal to anyone, it does not require only material things to change someone. What changes and moves is the love you have towards them. If you can love, you can change and move mountains. It’s not easy to love because love is sacrifice. You’ve got to love first to love. May the good Lord bless you.

Herbert Anderson

[Herbert has a regular job and supports these boys on his own. He did not ask for anything but I wonder if we could do something to help him relieve the financial burden if only for a short season. Perhaps fund the $120 tuition for 1 of the 10 children? Prehaps food?]

No comments:

Post a Comment