Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, September 17, 2010

Mercy Uganda and Medical Team Arrival

Friday was a day of down-time. After the first week I needed some laundry done so Irene came and cared for that. We watched the sun dry the laundry from the front porch. Gabriel took us to market where we got fresh carrots, green beans, watermelon and the like. One lady was having the fungus removed from her toes atop snap peas. Lauren and I retreated to watch a chick flick on the laptop while sprawled out on my mattress on the living room floor. Gabriel went to work more on his house. Later I saw some shoes out on the brick pile and asked if they were mine. I couldn’t quite tell given their white color. I thought mine were clay red.

The airport was packed as it seems most flights arrive in the evening. The Mercy Uganda team arrived on schedule with all of their bags – a minor miracle. Waiting on the outside of the airport for those coming out was a new perspective for me and I really enjoyed being on that side of the glass. For those arriving that didn’t know me, I told them I’d be the white girl…perhaps I should have said the “bright” girl.

We hoisted all the 50-75 pound bags to the top of the van and piled the people inside. To the Lweza Guest House and Conference Center we went. Introductions, a short schedule for the morning, and off to bed with us all. Well…Laura, Lauren, and I chatted a little while longer. It was SO good to be the three of us again. I’ve decided to stay with Lauren rather than at the guest house, although I agonized over this decision for days. I can’t quite figure out what troubled me so. I chalked it up to the fact that we’ll be traveling so much and I’ll be gone for so long it seemed that one extra bed used three different times during the same week was stressing me more than it should.

Tomorrow…shopping and medical team preparations.

No comments:

Post a Comment