Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Sunday, September 12, 2010

First Few Visits

Gabriel took me to see the progress on his house. He said it took almost two years to save to purchase the land and affirmed that most people do not own their own property and houses. He’s built the house in such a way as to allow for the addition of two rooms at some time in the future. Even in the U.S. most people do not own their land without a bank loan and build their own homes with their two hands (although I suppose they used to a century or two ago). I am so proud of him!

The children around Gabriel's house came running...mzungu. Oh that warm sound. I shook hands and took pictures - for which their faces become so series.
We visited Ronnie to give him the phone donated to replace the one that was stolen. Such a warm welcome from that young man.

The rain began to pour down – it is rainy season – and in no time the roads were flooded. Back at Lauren’s house Henry appeared. I heard the sound of his boda-boda and ran out to greet him. Apparently he was thinking they’d meet at the airport in the p.m. not the a.m. After some pleasantries and gift-giving, he and I got into Mercy Uganda business mode.

A dinner of fresh carrots and green beans – sold by a school child who knocked at the door selling them to help pay his tuition – along with some pasta was just what I needed. I’ve never tasted carrots so yummy and I’m even the one that cooked them. Girl talk with Lauren and then to bed by 10:30. I slept like a baby.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Leslie, Glad to hear you made the trip and are among friends. Keep us posted, love your writing style.
    -Loren and Carol

    ReplyDelete