Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Smile

Uncle Kracker is a new country artist who recently released a song called Smile. The lyrics made me think about what makes me smile. I’m not talking about things I like or things that make me happy or even the 50 Things I’m Thankful For. I’m talking about those sparse moments when you realize you’re smiling and never knew it was coming, those inside smiles that sneak up on you.

As an example, while visiting Kefa Sempangi’s compound just outside Kampala, we came across an artist sculpting a rooster. The rooster is symbolic to me of “a new day,” a phrase and experience that has a very long story and very significant meaning that predates Rick and continues through My Second Year. Not many people are aware of the importance of this symbol in my life, but the instant I saw this rooster all I could do was smile. I smiled about the way the Holy Spirit uses these little moments to remind me of his presence. I smiled that quite inner, knowing smile that comes from deep within.

What makes you smile?

1 comment:

  1. Leslie,
    A lot of stuff makes me smile. Someone else's smile for example. My cat's antics, etc. God makes me smile the most though. You make me smile too. Blessings, Amy Wever

    ReplyDelete