Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Packing for Uganda

Earlier this summer my son came across some luggage that was slated for the dump. He kindly thought of me and my need to bring gifts to Uganda in bags that are left behind. I have almost 25 gigantic suitcases filling a corner of my basement, most of which will only be half full once they reach the 50-pound limit. Two of these 50-pound bags are all that are allowed on international travel apart from a small carry on. You’d think two 50-pound bags would almost fit the kitchen sink. Nope: A computer for Frank, the scrap-ghan, and a box of gifts for Olivia…that’s one 50-pound bag.

The second bag is an eclectic mixture of things. A virtual grocery store for Lauren, poor girl has been deprived of Dove chocolates for the past nine months and somehow I hope to get a bag of tortilla chips to her uncrushed. Of course, I need my Cheerios too. I have 12 pair of Sam’s Club eyeglasses having been left around the house by Rick who insisted he “didn’t need glasses.” I have 13 Bible study guides for David and the widows (sounds like a rock group).

Among a few other odds and ends, I have my own box full of bathroom stuff…mostly liquids, very heavy. Here’s the thing…one travel size tube of toothpaste won’t last five weeks. Nor would a 3.4 oz. bottle of shampoo. I had the option of purchasing several travel sizes or one larger size bottle. I’m cheap…I went with the larger size bottles. Right, so how do I get these things home? Well, I’m leaving them at Lauren’s…just in case (read, just in case I come back). Another bag finished – half full but 50 pounds none the less.

That leaves my carry on. Five weeks worth of clothes in one carry on. I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a minimalist. I’ll wear the same clothes over and over so I don’t have to pack much but still five weeks is a long time. I need clothes for: hiking/walking, villages, and everyday. I need clothes like pajamas, a raincoat, and socks (let’s not talk about sandals). Right, my bag is STUFFED. Oh wait…I ought to bring some undies too. Sigh…I feel confident they’ll kick me off the plane for having too much stuff.

I still have a pile of gifts on the floor in my living room – books for children donated by the Cascade library and lots of baby and children’s clothes donated by various neighbors. I’ll just have to save these for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment