Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Lake Ann Camp Hike

(Wednesday, July 7) What must I have looked like walking around the trails of this camp all dressed in pink? Easily identifiable is probably the most correct answer. All pink is not so common among young campers, even the girls. I stuck out like cotton candy. Given the humidity on this 90-degree day, I’m sure I looked like cotton candy does when you lick it – you know, it gets dark pink and kind of beady and melty and sticky.

Another oddity was that I not with a camper group. This pink woman walking around the grounds of the camp was probably something to laugh about. Here is where age has its benefits. I don’t think they dared laugh or tease because I’m a full grown adult (most of the time). Lots of counselors said “hello,” as did many campers when spoken to first. No one asked who I was or what I was doing here with any sort of security-like undertones.

Trudging up and down two tracks until the track ended usually at a road or at a cabin, I then returned to take the next trail. I found the giant blow up ball that kids get into and ride to the bottom of a hill. I wanted to ask if I could try, and I’m sure they would have let me, but I didn’t. I found tent-cabins named after constellations. I found horses. I found teen girl and teen guy cabins facing one another – I’m not thinking that was such a good idea.

Eventually I came back to the Three-Mile Hike trail where I met up with the persistent fly once again. Seriously, I wasn’t even thinking about that companion…until he showed up again. Ugh! I just left the trail and didn’t even bother trying to find a compromise with that guy.

I was out for about an hour and a half which means I walked about five miles. Not much but it was good to keep up the exercise. I’m getting to need new shoes pretty seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment