Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 1: Opening Ceremony

Although it was still quite dark when I arrived, I could see the camp full of inspirational posters, flags, and banners. A number of opportunities were offered by which to pay tribute to those special people who either survived or succumbed to breast cancer. I wrote my Aunts’ names everywhere I could.

Opening ceremony began promptly at 6:30 as the 1,900 walkers who were dressed all in pink shuffled into the black metal chute. I stepped in near the back so I could get out quickly and easily. Ten minutes of stretching preceded a ceremony that left us all teary eyed. At 7:15 we were given the charge to begin the walk. No, don’t exit out the way we came in, exit out the front through a staged, single-file line. Yes, I was close to last or at least a late middle before I finally crossed through the gate. It’s not a race, right?

The very first song they played to energize the group was Walking on Sunshine, a song popular in the mid 1980s and performed by Katrina and the Waves. I actually saw them in concert back when they were trying to become better known. The song is so motivating to me that first note from the horn is a very familiar signal. I could name that tune in one note. Rick knew how much that song meant to me and recorded it as a single on a CD. He occasionally played it, perhaps to watch me jump around in excitement. That this would be the first song today was very sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment