Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Exhausted

My bed is dimpled by the two bodies that formerly slept there. The hump in the middle is the only place where I can lay flat on my stomach following a long walk. My body aches too much to lie on my side. My arms are down and tucked under me to keep me from rolling in either direction. The pillow is under my face and another covers my eyes to keep the sun from lighting on them.

There’s very little left of me physically and all I can do is take a nap. I cry a little. “Why am I crying,” I wonder before I slip away. I’m tired, I feel hopeless, I wonder what the point of all this walking has been. And then I remember…I’m alone and my beautiful Aunts have comforted me tirelessly (so unlike the complaining I am doing now).

I must go on, I will go on. And then all I want is for Rick to slip onto the bed next to me and comfort me. I can almost feel him lying by my side with his head propped up on one arm and the other arm soothing me by gently rubbing my back…by touching me. He whispers, “You’re doing a great job honey. I’ll be there at the end to welcome you in. Just watch, I’ll be there.” I drift away.

No comments:

Post a Comment