Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, August 2, 2010

White Pine Trail

(Sunday, July 4) Here is what I posted on Facebook that morning: Walking the White Pine Trail today from Cedar Springs to Riverside Park - 17+ miles (5+ hours) - in preparation for walking 60 miles over three days to help fight breast cancer. Make a donation to Susan G. Komen on my Facebook page…

When I go away from home, I always look for the opportunity to walk so that I have the chance to experience new terrain and new scenery. The temperature reached 88 degrees at its peak today and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky. Why walk in such conditions? I’ll be walking in Detroit in mid August and the conditions may very well be exactly the same as today – or hotter. I need to learn how my body reacts to these conditions and to be prepared to meet its needs along the way.

I learned that two bottles of water isn’t nearly enough. I also learned that, even though I was probably the most goofy looking person around, the cowboy hat my father-in-law gave me to keep the sun off my head did the trick. Yep, bright pink athletic shorts and shirt and a cowboy hat.

I found this trail particularly difficult for two reasons. First, it was long and straight. Except when walking through Rockford, there was nothing much to look at. Trees, path, where the trees shaded the path, where the trees didn’t shade the path. Second, there was no way to get off the trail and shorten the walk if I lacked energy. I did okay and am glad I walked the whole thing, but not having the choice of shortening the walk was a bit claustrophobic. Happily, I finished the trail in exactly the amount of time I anticipated. Yea me!

No comments:

Post a Comment