Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 1: The Evening

I’m sitting in the chow tent now just waiting for a decent time of day to actually eat dinner, it’s only 4:30. All the ants I think are crawling all over me occupy my mind. Perhaps I’ll do a little coloring in the Bug Time book.

Dinner was served at 4:00 and around 5:00 I got in line. Steak, potatoes, green beans, and apple pie. Yum to all of it, especially given the mass production approach. More people are here now and the local entertainment started – tap dancers to Michael Jackson songs.

6:00 – 7:00 should be announcements, stretching, and prize drawing awards.
7:00 – 8:00 camp show including announcements and games.
8:00 – 9:00 karaoke (not by me).

Now that a few hours have passed since assessing my physical state, I can affirm that everything does ache. I should also add to the list…sunburn. I could be a heat source for people in Antarctica. Strangers are commenting that I’m “a little red.” Yes, I used sun block. 20 miles tomorrow sounds very unappealing at the moment.

The air is cooling just a bit and the breeze is kicking up. Camp is abuzz with limping walkers. The crew is running errands for campers – getting water, getting dinner, setting up more tents, fetching things, carrying things. They are absolutely amazing servants. One lady saw the look on my face as I gazed longingly at the hydration station 50 feet away. She grabbed my water bottles and filled them, while I stood in place afraid to move (on account of the private blisters).

No comments:

Post a Comment