Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Part of Something Bigger

Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer AND it’s the leading cause of death among women worldwide. If only the cure actually hinged on one person walking 60 miles one time.

As I raised funds for this cause, particularly as I went Knocking for Knockers, I had a growing sense of isolation. The experience was difficult, hot, and sometimes frustrating or sad. I know, though, that once I get to the event there will be more than 1,000 other men and women walking and I imagine there will be no way to feel any kind of isolation even if I wanted to.

Many folks are walking as part of a team (550 teams in Michigan), together those teams and all of us who are walking as individuals are part of something bigger. There are 15 different locations throughout the U.S. where thousands of walkers contribute to the fight against breast cancer. There are dozens of other events – running, biking, mountain climbing, etcetera – that also contribute to the fight.

Just for kicks, here are a few of the team names:

“Bust” A Move
“Nice Rack” Pack
A Coupl’a Boobs
Boobie Brigade
Bustin’ Loose
Healthy Humps
Hope for Hooters
Just for the Mammaries
Long Life the Girls
Save Second Base
The Wonder Twins
The Big & Itty Titty Committee
The Breast Things in Life
The Cleavage Crew
The Pointer Sisters
Treasure Chests

So you see, the sense that that this mission isn’t all about me is starting to sink in. I am a part of something bigger, much bigger…even bigger than a double DD.

No comments:

Post a Comment