Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 1: The Walk

A 21.2-mile (yes, the 0.2 miles counts) walk was scheduled for the first day and it just happened to be 92 degrees and sunny. The most I’d walked in one day while training was 18 miles and the hottest was something like 88 so I was ready for the heat. Three more miles would be a piece of cake. The first few miles could have been frustrating given the sheer mass of people who started all at the same time. I decided to go with the flow. After the first pit stop, they started spreading out more which allowed me to set my pace a little more easily.

A group of bikers called the Panthers served as our crossing guards when they weren’t busy cheering for us. Burly biker men serving as crew for the breast cancer walk. I have to say, there was something very sweet about all the men who were participating. I particularly appreciated the free breast exam. Stretch, stretch, stretch at every stop light. The dancing lady moved ahead of the pack every so often so that we saw her several times before we finished. Families set up stands of water, food, or cold towels. I enjoyed a cold towel and an ice cream sandwich among a half dozen or so cold water bottles.

Pam’s family was amazing. I have no idea who Pam was, but her husband and many other family members drove around honking for her, they posted signs all along the route, the stopped in various places to cheer, hug, and refresh her. I was particularly struck by the thought that this is exactly what Rick would have done for me.

My crowning achievement was balancing an ice pack on my head the last 11 miles (which I did on day 2 and day 3 also), periodically refilled after having dribbled down my head and soaked into my clothes as the sun beat down. A few people commented on this feat, even the policemen asked, "Did you know there is an ice bag on your head?" (so helpful). Honestly it was probably the part of the walk that saved me. The pack kept the sun off my head, and the slow drip of water and the ice itself kept my body cool. I believe it was so helpful that I probably won’t leave camp tomorrow without a Ziploc full of ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment