Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Packing for The 3-Day

Packing for three days of walking and camping is no small task. Unlike Packing for Alaska and Packing for Uganda, we’ve been given a three page list of what to bring and what not to bring. Everything on the list must fit into a single duffel and weigh less than 35 pounds, including camping gear. Then we must somehow mark our black duffel so as to distinguish it from all the other black duffels loaded into our assigned transport truck…a pink ribbon is probably not the best idea.

We’re asked to seal everything we bring inside a Ziploc® bag to keep it dry in the event of rain or heavy dew. All of our clothing for all weather, camping gear, first aid, toiletries, and miscellaneous items (the longest part of the list) are all to fit in sealable bags. I don’t know about you but my Ziploc® bags only come in gallon size. How shall I fit the sleeping bag or pillow in that?

I am glad for the list though. I might not have thought to bring shower shoes, clothes pins, an alarm clock, or a bandanna. Seems like duct tape would be a good idea too, and maybe the kitchen sink. I definitely would not have thought to bring tent decorations or any decorations for my body like the lady in the photo. I’d kinda like to be all foo-fooed up though. Any help with that from all my Creative friends would be appreciated. I’m also making a sign for the front yard so all those neighbors that tolerated my “Knocking for Knockers” will know that this is the weekend I walk.

The dilemma of today, though, is this. A Chicago walker’s blog post said that AT&T was in camp with an internet café. If that’s true, I want to bring my computer so I can write about all my experiences each day and post on the blog, but they say not to bring any valuables. I find that I need to unload my brain regularly to maintain emotional/mental balance (no jokes). What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment