Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, August 6, 2010

Walker Registration

Registering for The 3 Day requires:
• Providing health insurance information
• Watching a health and safety video
• Choosing a tent mate
• Opting in/out for towel service
• Taking a quiz

The top two health problems walkers experience during The 3 Day are dehydration and blisters. As my walking distances increased, I became more sensitive to the need to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Even so, I still have a feeling that I don’t hydrate enough. My main concern is the depletion of salt. Sports drinks are nasty so I’ll be mindful about selectively choosing salty snacks en route. I’ve not had a problem with blisters on my feet thanks to the super expensive, super ugly, Smart Wool socks Rick left behind. Blisters on my…um, I got some Body Glide.

Some of the safety rules include no iPods or mp3 players. What ever will I do with my brain while walking 20 miles (7+ hours) if I can’t listen to books on tape? I hope to make some new friends while on the trail. Another rule is no running. Seriously? Thanks, but this won’t be a problem for me. Put your arms above your head in an X to signal the sweep van to stop. A sweep van takes “injured” walkers either to the next pit stop or to camp. I really want to walk the WHOLE 60 miles, anything less would not be my best effort.

I’m getting really excited about participating. Seven days, $640, and a few more details to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment