Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Second Year is the Hardest

According to a number of the grief-related books I read and several of the people I talked to who experienced grief firsthand, the second year following the death of a loved one is typically the hardest. I suppose this is because the first year is full of grief, and the second year is full of reality.

So, what does that mean for me and the work that I’ve been doing through My Second Year? Am I avoiding or postponing the seemingly inevitable pain described by authors and grievers? Am I creating an unsustainable new normal? Should I be making efforts to get back into old, comfortable, traditional patterns?

Or am I stepping out of the way and allowing God to direct my steps? Am I finding this new synergistic way of using my knowledge, skills, and experience in a highly meaningful way? Am I really accomplishing the purpose set before me – to break down walls, build compassion, and show grace?

I suppose that only some time distance will reveal the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment