Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, August 5, 2010

First Walk With New Shoes

(Sunday, July 12) My first walk in my new shoes was somewhat adventurous. I’d mapped out a 14 mile course (about 5 hours) that began at Knapp and Grand River, on the way home from church. About four miles in (just past the Carl Creek Bridge) the sky got dark and the rain poured down. I’m not generally one to care much if it rains because once you’re wet no amount of finishing faster will make you any less wet.

The ear splitting peel of thunder, on the other hand, had me running for cover…literally. I ran to this lady’s porch and asked if I could wait it out. About 10 minutes later I started off jogging toward home. I passed a poor dad and his little boy in a stroller, and their dog. The dad was swearing up a storm of his own because of the rain.

My brand spanking new $100 shoes were completely water logged! Between the shoes and my Smart Wool socks, my feet felt like jelly sponges just holding tight to that precious water. Usually when something is wet there is a sort of wet squish and a release of the water. But this pair seemed like my feet were encased in a gel type liquid. Eeeww.

I ended up running home in a very soggy condition, and with an even stronger desire to just be done with the walk. Instead I changed my clothes and shoes and finished the walk, which in total ended up being 15 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment