Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Happy Wedding Anniversary

On a sunny afternoon 21 years ago today, I married Ricky Lee Mosher on the lawns of Point West in Holland. The small ceremony – I never wanted the big wedding so many women dreamt of – was perfect. I’ll never forget the look in his beautiful hazel eyes as we said our vows…dreamy. Many times through the years this same look would return. It’s hard to believe that our marriage endured for just less than half my lifetime.

Last year – for what would have been our 20th anniversary and the 1st anniversary after his death – I revisited the place Rick and I enjoyed our honeymoon – The Terrace Inn in Petoskey. This is the place we had our wedding night dinner and enjoyed a walk on the grounds as well as by the lakeshore. I paged slowly through two albums of wedding pictures with an older couple who had been sitting next to me in the restaurant looking on. I reread all of the cards given to us for that celebration. I described to the then-and-now owner our little wedding story. After dinner, I sat on the very swing we sat on together (I have pictures) so many years ago and removed my wedding ring. I read our Bible verses, placed the ring in its box next to Rick’s ring, and acknowledged the end of that very special marriage.

While I do feel a sense of sadness and loss today, the pain is not quite so sharp at it once had been. I continue to be thankful for many years we had together and the way God has shaped me though that marriage experience.

Ephesians 5:22-33.

Wedding photo: 1989, Point West on Lake Macatawa
Vacation photo: 2005, Taggert Lake in Grand Teton National Park

2 comments:

  1. Leslie,
    I just started reading your blog a couple of days ago and wondered about the title "My Second Year". I had no idea about your husband. I am so sorry to read, but am very touched by your writing today.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful way to remember Rick and to continue the life he would have wanted you to have. Thank you for sharing such personal memories and thoughts.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete