Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Critical Evaluation

As I began reflecting on My Second Year, a list of questions/worries rolled out of my head …questions I’m not entirely sure I want the answer to and questions I’m not entirely sure I can answer. In keeping with the spirit of authenticity, though, I’m sharing those questions and I’ll even try to answer them to the best of my ability.

1. I wonder if the work of grieving and healing in My Second Year has been accomplished.

As I think back over the year and revisit the content of my blog posts I notice that they increasingly address the deep issues of grief less often. This outcome could be attributed to preoccupation/avoidance or it could be true that the work of grieving and healing has been accomplished. A heart check suggests the latter. I’ve said numerous times that grief will always have a small place in me. I feel that, although I’m not sure exactly what place that is, grief has moved out of the forefront and into the shadows. It lingers but it doesn’t control.

2. I wonder if the work of heart transformation has been successful.

My very early blog posts suggested a number of character-based…um…flaws that the Holy Spirit nudged me to address through the work of My Second Year. In fairness, I cannot judge myself to know whether this work of My Second Year has been accomplished. I will say that unknowing people made comments about my character that made me look around the room in wonder at who they were speaking of…surely it couldn’t be me…could it? If only the sharp edges are worn down just a little more, I will be thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment