Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Friday, October 15, 2010

Calvary Chapel Medical Mission

Pastor Eddie and Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa sponsored a week-long medical mission at several cities in Uganda, beginning with Calvary Chapel in Namulanda. I walked the two miles to the church and waved to David, our trusted boda driver, along the way. I think he and some of the other regular boda drivers is getting used to seeing this white girl walk, whereas most Americans use some other form of transport.

Tea (breakfast) began promptly at 8:00 and I was welcomed by Chris, the Ugandan mission coordinator, to enjoy tea with the entire volunteer group. The ladies who prepared the tea worked tirelessly all day long to ensure the comfort of the mission team.

The entire campus of Calvary Chapel and Bethel House Orphanage was utilized. A large tent served as a waiting room and was packed when I arrived at 7:45 a.m. When the rains came, as they did throughout the day, people could be seen squishing up under that tent and the surrounding trees. While waiting, the people heard the Gospel from Pastor Wilson and his translator or maybe Pastor Wilson translated for a School of Ministry student who presented the Gospel. Sometimes it’s hard to know who is giving the main message. You have to be present at the beginning to know who is following whom.

The building near the road was used for the doctors and treatment. Augustine served as a translator for one of the doctors. Gabriel charged him with “taking care of me” during the event to ensure that my sunburn didn’t get worse, but I released Augustine from that responsibility. I should be grown up enough to think of such things, but alas…I am still burned.

Bethel Covenant School, located just behind the church, served as a dispensary or pharmacy. After participating in worship for the School of Ministry in the main church building, I was assigned to work here alongside Linda, a new Ugandan friend and nurse. Patients brought prescriptions to us and we did our best to read doctor’s handwriting, although Linda was already a near expert. She also knew the different drug names for a single drug, which was immensely useful. We fell into a routine and performed quite well together. This single mother of two is always invited to help when this medical team comes to Uganda and I can see why.

I had a few opportunities to pray for healing alongside Pastor Eddie and Pastor Phillip. I’m thankful for those few moments when I think about seeing God among the busyness of such a mission trip – sometimes I lose him among the many tasks and duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment