Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Last Days

The last days are filled with a few different things. First – I try to answer the question of what one thing (within reason) do I want to do in case I never get to come back to Uganda? and then do it. Second – I try to answer the question what last business needs to be done that cannot be done from home? and then get it done.

First. What one thing to I want to do in case I never get to come back to Uganda? See Murchison Falls and the gorillas. Neither of these sight-seeing marvels is realistic for this trip so I had to add the “within reason” clause. Instead I sit frozen in my room with the fan blowing on my feet uncertain of how to choose exactly what that one last thing would be. Honestly, I find myself longing to be surrounded by the sponsored children and my friends while at the same time knowing that wish isn’t practical or possible. Later tonight the Mercy Uganda team will share a meal and take me to the airport where I will undoubtedly fall apart just a little more.

Second. What last business needs to be done that cannot be done from home? Make some heads roll…in a Christian loving kind of way. Something about my American’ness gives me an attribute the Ugandans don’t have – other than my brightness – which can be both good and bad. I wish I could fix so many things (yes, I am intentionally being evasive) that are so deeply embedded in the culture and history of this country. Yet I know that only God is big enough to bring about this badly needed justice. Meanwhile, I can only hope to impact the life of one person at a time and one last day gives me one last chance to do that.

Why does preparing to leave feel a little like a death sentence?

No comments:

Post a Comment