Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, October 11, 2010

Shopping in Kawuku

I have a short list of items needed for some of the sponsored children and thought I’d give going to the market alone a try. The Kawuku market is nearby and I’ve been there before so I put on my shoes and headed out – after informing the proper authorities. Wow, it was hot outside. I found the market – outdoor vendors who sell the few things they grow or make or sometimes buy – and walked up and down the streets looking at what they had. I was looking for some specific items but really wanted to get to know what was available in this market should I need to return later.

A few of the items on my list were available but selection was limited so I made no purchases. I didn’t find the big food part of the market that I remembered from my June visit so I took a few side roads to see what I could see. I wandered into the housing part of the “neighborhood” where little storage unit size flats lined the roads, their curtained doorways blowing in the occasional breeze. Half naked children hung out on the front porch and called out “mzungu.” Women swept the debris into the street. I knew I was out of place being so far beyond the market so I hesitated to haul out my camera. Instead I kept walking, sharing the road with a lone bull, until the road reconnected with the market. One last sweep and I gave up for the day.

Overall the trip was liberating and telling, but I came home empty handed.

No comments:

Post a Comment