Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Disquieting Seizes Me

I am increasingly feeling unsettled as this first mission journey approaches. But what is the source of these feelings? I know the sensation isn’t from the enemy, but I can’t quite pinpoint what is going on.

Contemplating the typical short term mission journey in an effort to identity what may be amiss, I imagined that people go on short term mission trips under the auspices of their home church. A coordinator enlists a small group of people to serve together. As a collective body the church ordains this group to go on their behalf and to represent them and the Kingdom well. Representing the church means certain behaviors are expected and that accountability exists. The church body also provides prayer, protection, and encouragement to those whom they send.

Am I feeling exposed at not being “sent” by my church? Am I feeling vulnerable? Am I fearful? These considerations don’t seem to resonate with the source of my disquieting – it’s not quite right.

“Amid disquieting dreams in the night, when deep sleep falls on men, fear and trembling seized me and made all my bones shake” (Job 4:13-14).

No comments:

Post a Comment