Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Brave Communication

I attended the first in an 11-week series at my church called Brave Communication. The website describes brave communication as about being prepared. It's about being gentle and powerful. It's about getting the love and grace I have in my heart, out. It will empower me with a new mindset and practical skills that enhance my everyday in-the-moment connection with friends and strangers, and keep me from panicking, avoiding, or attacking in the midst of conflict. The series seems like the perfect complement to the beginning of any mission journey.

One of the key messages was that we need to connect with people relationally before delivering content messages that might feel threatening. I was thinking about evangelism opportunities and how tempting it might be to simply ask a few connecting “get to know you” questions and follow immediately with “do you know Jesus” content. Might this approach feel a lot like judgment on the part of the receiver. I wonder if finding a few people to get close to over the course of the week would be wise and then perhaps at the end of the week, through that developed relationship, talk a little more about content. Whatever the case, I’m so thankful to have time now to ponder the possible approaches to the wonderful opportunities that I’ll experience while on this journey.

On a side note, I commented that the material seemed to be similar to a book called Crucial Conversations and somehow word got back to my pastor. I was invited to share additional material from this book with participants. At first I thought GASP! but then I had to smile because I could see God working on that transformation in me again. How could I say no?

Speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment