Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, January 25, 2010

Alaska Missions Pre-Training

One of the many projects I’ll participate in while in Nome is the Mushers’ Banquet. The banquet is held after the Iditarod race and tickets cost $65 each. I read that more than 2,000 people attend – that’s more than half the entire population of Nome (3,576). To participate in this part of the Iditarod ministry, I was required to obtain an Alaska food handling certification (http://alaska.state.gegov.com/foodworker/).

I’m supposed to make sure hamburger is cooked to at least 155° and chicken to at least 165°, and that food is stored below 41° or above 135°. When washing dishes I’m supposed to use three buckets – water, cleaning solution, and sanitizing solution. I also learned that 30% of people don’t wash their hands after they go to the bathroom and that over 5,000 droplets take flight when I sneeze. And, I can sing the Happy Birthday song twice while washing my hands. You’ll be glad to know that I passed the test, but frankly…I’m a little surprised I’m still alive.

Everything that lives and moves is food for us (Genesis 9:3-4).

No comments:

Post a Comment