Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mission Trip Preparation: Domestic

Preparing for a mission trip isn’t as simple as packing your bags and getting on a plane. To be most effective, I imagine a great many topics should be studied.

1. Geographical region (climate, land, natural resources, industries).
2. Culture (literacy rates, living conditions, life span, employment, education, history).
3. Religious beliefs and practices.
4. Denominational differences between the sponsor church/association and my own beliefs.
5. Unusual things to pack (mosquito nets, medicines, etc.).
6. How to engage others in conversation that is meaningful to them.
7. How to listen. How to be present.
8. How to respond to people whose life is marked by major tragedy.
9. How to tell my salvation story.
10. How to share the Gospel message.
11. Bible verses that might be useful in a ministry situation.
12. Indigenous response to missionaries.
13. Prayer, fasting, and meditation.

The work of increasing my knowledge in these areas is exhausting and I’m afraid of all the topics I don’t know that I should be learning more about. Please share your mission trip experiences. Share your biggest surprises and your best advice by responding to this blog post using the comments feature.

I know the Holy Spirit is the best guide to bring me into relationship with the people I’m serving and that I need to set aside all that I “know” so that he can do that.

The Spirit will guide me into all truth (John 16:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment