Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Monday, January 18, 2010

My Second Year Purpose

I practiced telling my second year story to a few friends who encouraged and supported me in this journey. My cousin, a full time missionary in Guadalajara, raised some practical questions, which led to the internal dialogue…why missions? My response was three-fold.

Through missions I will have the opportunity to break down walls. I will practice being authentic, genuine, and open in that somewhat non-threatening environment. Where I would typically have chosen to respond in a closed manner, I will instead choose to face the risk of judgment or rejection by responding with openness. How many people can only know God’s unconditional love by first bringing down their defenses?

Through missions I will have the opportunity to show compassion. I will choose missions that expose me to the hurts and needs of others. For example, I will develop relationships with people in ways that demand expressions of empathy and consideration. I trust God to bring me to the right places at the right times to show kindness. How many people need to know God’s compassion delivered without strings attached?

Through missions I will have the opportunity to show the grace of God. Have you ever thought you knew what God’s grace was but then truly experienced it and realized what you thought you knew was entirely insufficient? Through the death of my best friend, God’s grace was made real. I long to show His grace rather than serve my own interpretation of fairness. How many people need to know God’s amazing favor rather than the man-made justice of their current situation?

Why missions? To break down walls, build compassion, and show the wonderful grace of God.

“I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow” (Jeremiah 31:13b).

No comments:

Post a Comment