Ricky Lee Mosher June 21, 1955 to November 22, 2008

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Preparing for Blog Retirement

As a URL, mysecondyear.blogspot.com was taken so I used my name instead. I never expected to actually enjoy blogging so I didn’t worry about the future ramifications of that choice. Now, if I ever want to do anything more with a blog I can’t use my name. I can change the URL, but then no one would be able to find the blog and the posts won’t be indexed with search engines. How important is that, I wonder.

And then there is blog design. Revising my blog design three or four times over the past year does little for brand recognition, although brand recognition isn’t really the point of the blog. Given how often people change their Facebook photos I wonder if the importance of brand recognition will eventually become a thing of the past. Oddly, that I want people to recognize my blog based on a sense of brand does mean something. Why? As I press into that question I find that perhaps this desire for a sense of recognition is a type of acknowledgement that the year existed and that it was important.

From here I move to obsessing about the feeling that the colors and design of the blog are horrible. I’ve grown accustomed to looking at beautiful design and have no illusion that my choices are just a little…um…yuk. Why do I even care if the blog will be done soon? I wonder if the reason to that question is that on that last day the blog will be, in a sense, laid to rest.

I want everything to be perfect so that a viewer coming to the blog at some later date would see and read about this beautiful life and what God can do through tragedy. I believe that can happen regardless of how awful the color choices and page layout are, but I can’t seem to stop worrying. It’s as if the decision were about which suit to wear in the casket or what words to put on a headstone.

1 comment:

  1. This is getting a little deep here, honey. Your pictures say it all. I don't care about design, I just always look for those happy kids faces from your trips to Uganda. Good enough.

    ReplyDelete